Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Preston Auto Ice Holes!


I just realized recently that Preston Auto was in another way reaching out and getting involved in the community in a physical and competitive way, involving bumps and bruises, coaching and teamwork, applauds and boos, and it was something called hockey. Leagues like this do a lot more than you would think for any community and I feel like New Castle's YMCA did an exceptional job running this particular league. I grew up in Texas and moved here a year ago. Let's just say hockey isn't winning any popularity contests where I'm from. I recall sitting in a bar in upstate New York during all the College Football bowl games. I was with a good friend of mine and she looked around at all the televisions and back at me.

"If we were back in Texas, there would be riots in the streets."

Every single television had the Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL Winter Classic. All fifteen of them.

Now I'm sitting on my couch drinking a Yuengling and watching the Pens game. If my Texan friends saw me they would gasp but I wouldn't care. I haven't looked back since I put on those pads and crosschecked my manager into a wall. Through the community and team work, the game has taken on a new meaning and life in this Texan.





For updates on the season or to join the New Castle YMCA hockey league simply go to the link below.

http://leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?cmenuid=1&url=ncymca&sid=165726695

1 comment:

  1. Were you also eating a lean cusine at said yeungling time?

    ReplyDelete