Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Van Man


I'm actually excited about a van but there is probably a reason for that. When I turned 16 there were not one but two vans parked in my driveway. On my sixteenth birthday I got behind the wheel of my mom's Ford Windstar, put my hand over the passenger's headrest, looked into the rear view window, and backed down my driveway. At this point I'm really not hiding anything so I will share with you that there was a leopard cover over the steering wheel too difficult to remove and a sign under the license plate simply stating; Yield to the Princess.



Now let me explain a couple more things. I was 16 one year before all my friends and I had a van so the effeminate qualities the vehicle had were insignificant to me at the time. I had a ride and so did they. So I grew up driving a van and I am sure at one point in my life I will be behind one once again. The feeling I had, at sixteen, driving through the streets of my old town was a distinct feeling of importance. A feeling quite similar to any middle aged man getting looks in his new Sienna, unashamed and comfortable. Yield to the Princess for these times' are a changing. The new 2011 Toyota Sienna is almost here, and when it arrives, please don't put a leopard steering wheel cover on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment