Monday, September 21, 2009

Honda Insight "Beach" Commercial


Has anyone seen the new Honda Insight "beach" commercial? The reason im asking is because it did air yesterday about 15 times during the Steeler game. What struck me as odd the first time I saw it was that I even noticed it. I mean during a Steeler game, as all Steeler fans know, we get a little too into it! At first I thought that maybe I just saw the Honda logo and since I do work with them it just caught my eye. Then....It hit me. After about the 3rd or 4th time it aired. I didnt like it. Not at all actually.
First off the commercial starts out with a couple of Insights driving down the road then simultaneously parking next to each other. The theme here is that it looks like one, but is actually two. This goes on throughout the video. People look like they are standing there doing something, then move to a different pose or stance and another person pops out. I just dont get it. It was definitely creative and neat to watch, but what did it have to do with the insight? At the end of the commercial the tag line "the hybrid for the rest of us" came on. I just didnt get it. I was totally lost and by the fifth time id seen it the Steelers had already missed their first of two field goals that would ultimately cost them the game. Im sure if I watched it again in another context Id be more objective, but who knows. Let me know what you thought about it if you saw it. It was certainly not as bad as those ridiculous Prius commercials ;)
Walt Kustra
Internet Sales Manager
Preston Honda
Office#1-888-839-7855
Fax#724-658-2261
I.M. - PresonHondaNCPA

4 comments:

  1. No offense, but the commercial has been airing for several months, (along with others using a similar visual style), you are a Honda dealer and you are just *now* seeing them?? I am amazed. I am not knocking the car - I bought a Tango Red Pearl EX Insight w/navi!

    The commercial tries (and succeeds in my opinion) as being a visual puzzle that makes you want to see what will happen next. Using ordinary people doing ordinary things in their Honda Insight. The hybrid for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the commercial! I do like the Prius commercial better though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren,
    Thanks for reading, and for your feedback. I did do some research on the commercial before I posted and I saw that it was made in March of 2009, but as I said, that really was the first time I saw it. Which kind of begged me to ask if others had seen it and when. Im not knocking the vehicle. Obviously that wouldnt be in good taste or a good move professionally on my part! We do a pretty good business with Insights here and it is a very smart choice when put up against a Prius. I guess the point I was trying to make was that Honda has had some really great commercials. Ones that I have really liked and ones that I have seen online that were tremendous. Did you see the one with the huge rube goldberg for the Honda Accord? What a great concept to have all the parts working together and at the end you see the sum of those parts. Check it out. Keep reading our posts!
    The link is below.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEF0cg1j35o

    Walt

    ReplyDelete